Now, more than ever, we have an opportunity to change the face of hearing health care in America. The Health and Medicine Division (formerly the Institute of Medicine – IOM) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine issued a groundbreaking report on June 2, 2016.
Our goal is to raise awareness about the report, build a community of consumers to share their unique story about their hearing loss, and ultimately, to lead the way in making hearing health care affordable for the 48 million people in the United States with hearing loss. The time has come – join HLAA and help us lead the way to affordable hearing health care.
HLAA is proud to be the only consumer organization for people with hearing loss to sponsor the study, Hearing Health Care for Adults: Priorities for Improving Access and Affordability.
Here’s what you can do:
- Read the 12 recommendations in the report which documents the critical nature of hearing loss; the recommendations underscore hearing loss as a significant public health concern. See also: Report in Brief, Action Guide for Individuals and Families, Action Guide for Hearing Health Care Professionals
- Spread the word about the Academies report – tell your primary care physician, your congressman and senator – don’t be shy! The more people who know about the report, the more likely we can affect change – help HLAA lead the way in implementing the 12 recommendations.
- Seek help for your hearing loss; you are not alone, 48 million people in the United States have hearing loss, yet 67 to 86 percent of adults (50 years and older) who may benefit from hearing aids do not use them. We need your help to change this statistic.
- Share your hearing loss story here and on theHLAA Facebook page and on @HLAA on Twitter. HLAA CAN impact change with your help. The time has come – people need to be able to get the hearing health care they need, including hearing aids, at an affordable price. Can we count on you?
- Become a member of HLAA – there is strength in numbers and we have a network of chapters across the country where you will find support and camaraderie.